Wednesday 3 July 2013

The Peryls of Idiocy


You may not know this but Wes and Liam are sort of my brothers-in-law.  They live with my sisters; in different houses of course - that would be too weird.  Consequently I spend a lot of time with them outside of “band”.  I have mixed feelings about this.

A few weeks ago, we all went camping.  I’m not one of life’s natural campers.  I don’t really understand what the appeal is.  Tents seem to provide the perfect environment to capture and retain everything that emanates from a human being.  I’ve never shared a tent with Liam Slade but having been forced to leave  many a live room due to his trouser productions, I can only imagine what my sister has to endure.  Our capacious family tent is not much better.  Children seem to produce really hot, wet breath and Millie is no exception.

After a rubbish nights sleep, I decided to take a Saturday afternoon nap.  After telling Mr.B.P. to keep an eye on Millie I merrily dozed off for an hour before being woken to sounds of merriment.  “What fun” I thought, poking my head out of the porch.  My amusement was short lived however when I came to realise that Feats Of Strength had begun. 

Feats of Strength.  It happens every time we leave London.  Perhaps the fresh air increases their testosterone levels or perhaps its because drinking before lunch somehow becomes acceptable on holiday?  Last year when we were in France, Liam “fell funny” while attempting to leap over a line of 6 sun loungers.  More recently in the garden of the family farm in Yorkshire, Wes cracked his head down onto a paving slab while trying to do a handstand push up and Carl ripped his shoulder doing a cartwheel (it was actually more akin to throwing himself to the ground upside down, but lets not split hairs). 

So what did I find when I woke up?  One armed press ups? Wheelbarrow racing?  No.  What I found was three grown men and an empty Heineken Keg, hurling it in the air to see who could get it the highest.  At the moment I spotted this idiocy, it had just hit a tree and caused a shower of deadwood to rain down.

Me  shouting from across the field
What the bloody hell do you think you’re doing? 
I move swiftly towards them with my arms outstretched
Give me that beer barrel right now.  I go to sleep for an hour and this is what I wake up to.  Where’s Millie?  You’re supposed to be looking after her.

Millie is sitting on a blanket watching the game looking completely nonplussed

Boys  What? It’s not going to hit anyone, we’re being really careful. 
They maintain their swagger and keep hold of the beer barrel

Me Have you got any idea what you look like?  This is a nice campsite with normal people staying on it.  Normal people who are playing rounders and Frisbee.  Not chucking a bloody beer barrel in the air.  It could land anywhere ffs.  You just decapitated a tree.

Boys No one cares.  No one has even noticed.

They have

Me People have moved away from you because you look scary and out of control.  You’re even scaring Millie

This isn’t actually true but it sounds good

Boys Ok fine

They are still trying to swagger their way through this but have started to look a bit sheepish

Me Give me that beer barrel.  It’s nothing but trouble.

They hand it over and we walk towards the tents

Me (hissing) honestly Carl, I almost expect this behavior from those two but you are 40 years old and your daughter is watching.  What sort of example are you setting.  You work in banking ffs.

The boys sulked until we went to the pub in the evening where a game of Darchery ensued.  What’s Darchery?  That’s another story…



No comments:

Black Waltz, by The Peryls