Friday 17 May 2013


The Peryls Of Eurovision


Let me take you back to 1981.  The nation was in the grip of Royal wedding fever as Charles and Di prepared to tie the knot.  My mother finally sired a boy and my darling little brother came into the world.  But something far more momentous was taking place.  Bucks Fizz were representing the UK at Eurovision and not only did they win but they did a skirt rip! 

The skirt rip!!!  It captured the imaginations of young girls up and down the county.  Boys were pressed into playing Bobby G and Mike Nolan in the playground with the promise of flashes of pants and tubes of smarties while girls argued over who was going to be Cheryl and who was going to be Jay.  This song had it all – great hook, great choreography and skirts with Velcro.  I’ve just watched it on you tube and can honestly say that I felt the same exhilarated “I want to do that” buzz that I felt all those years ago.  Only at Eurovision would there ever be a skirt rip.

As you’ve probably gathered, I adore Eurovision.  To me, it’s like the world cup final but with glitter.  I love the drama, the tears, and the tension.  And that’s just in my living room – imagine what the green room is like in Malmo!  What’s really important of course is the performances and so far this year they’ve been amazing. 

We’ve had the wildly successful, foot stomping fusion of traditional and contemporary music from Greece with Alcohol is Free.  The bizarre, but brilliant appearance of Igor the giant for Ukraine and the utterly charming Gianlucca Bezzina for Malta.  I could just pop both of them in my pocket!  Gianlucca would probably fit.  There have just been so many brilliant songs that I can’t even pick a favorite, let alone lend serious thought to who’s going to win.  It really is up for grabs and tomorrow night looks set to be one of the greatest Eurovision finals ever!

Do I believe in Bonnie?  Yes of course I do.  I would have liked a key change coming out of the middle eight but it’s a really strong rock ballad and I know she will give an amazing performance.  Will we win?  No, probably not but I don’t think we will do as badly as last year.  Bonnie has a good following on the continent so who knows?  I don’t want to build my hopes up but how amazing would it be if she brought Eurovision back to the UK!!!

Of course my true Eurovision dream has always been to represent my country.  I’m actually feeling slightly teary just writing that down.  The Peryls for Eurovision?  Keep dreaming Kate, keep dreaming…





No comments:

Black Waltz, by The Peryls